Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Chapter 4

The Professor is very close to Root and the Housekeeper.
The Professor cannot stop talking about prime numbers. To me, the way he describes them sounds like something in a movie, searching and searching for them until you find your "Prime Oasis." The author here is trying to convey to the reader that this is a big deal, and math has to be taken seriously when you talk to the Professor.  have to wonder what happened to the Professor before that caused him to be VERY protective of Root. I know he really got to know him over those first few months but why does he make such a big deal about him getting cut in the hand? When they are in the hospital, we all can tell that the Professor is overwhelmed and nervous. He randomnly starts talking about different math facts and cannot control himself. I too, when I am nervous about something bad that could happen I am unnable to talk. The end is just a little confusing to me. Why is Root angry and hiding in his room? How did his mom never trust the Professor? She was the one who said that "Its not your fault.' to the Professor.

3 comments:

  1. Ethan, I think this is your best entry so far. I agree with you that the language of the Professor sounds very metaphorical -- Prime Oasis and Amicable Numbers. I wonder if the translator had a hard time finding such charged language as he went from Japanese to English or if it came naturally. I also find the Professor's love of Root to be somewhat odd -- in a good way. I wonder if he had a son? Or always wanted a son. And even though he knows him well, it's like he meets him for the first time every time they see each other. It must be something instinctive in the Professor.

    I think your point about the ending is quite interesting. The mother seems to take it all in stride -- I wonder what is going on inside of Root's mind that makes him so upset at his mother at this point. Isn't a mother supposed to worry about her son a little bit? I wonder what it says about his feelings towards the Professor.

    This is a very insightful (and well written) response, Ethan. Keep up the good work.

    Mr. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya done good Ethan, ya done good
    - Mr. T@¢0

    ReplyDelete
  3. The depth of articles can easily be felt of this blog. Very precise and straight to the mark. I understood easily the matter of fact which the author of this blog wanted to deliver through his thoughts. Looking for more.บริการทำความสะอาด

    ReplyDelete